Saturday, February 26, 2011

Fair Trade at Starbucks?

Last year during Fair Trade Manitoba's One Month Challenge, I decided to do my little bit of activism and visited the Starbuck's location on the corner of Broadway and Donald to ask for a cup of fair trade coffee. Here is a recount of that event:

SB Employee: Hi there, what can I get for you today?
Me: Hi, do you guys have fair trade coffee? (I know they do - but I'm playing dumb)
SB Employee: Actually all of our coffee is fairly traded.
Me: (Eye roll) - Well that's a matter of opinion. I'm actually looking for certified Fair Trade coffee, you see I'm participating in the Fair Trade Manitoba One Month Challenge and I can only drink certified Fair Trade coffee
SB Employee: (Eye roll) - Our Cafe Estima is certified Fair Trade, however we don't have any of that made.
Me: Oh...well then no, I guess you can't get me anything today. (Exit Duane)

Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with her little corporate ruse - "all of our coffee is fairly traded". I was actually pretty annoyed. It's one thing for them to have their own watered down version of more ethically sourced coffee....but don't try to use a play on words with the intent on deceiving your customer.

Tonight, I found myself at Chapters and decided that I'd re-attempt my activism experiment.

SB Employee: Hi there - how can I help you today?
Me: Do you have any Fair Trade coffees?
SB Employee: We have Cafe Estima but we don't have any made.
Me: Oh, that's too bad. I'm participating in the Fair Trade Manitoba One Month Challenge and I can only drink certified Fair Trade coffees.
SB Employee: Well, if you would like we could French press you a cup?
Me: That would be great - yes I'd like that.

Nicely played Starbucks. Just for that....here's a free plug for your tasty, tasty Cafe Estima! If you like bold coffee...I highly recommend a French pressed Cafe Estima.

No comments:

Post a Comment